East Coast Realty & Property Management

501 S. Raleigh Street
email: Jworem@Gmail.Com

Office: (304)264-8177 ext: 101
Fax: (304)264-0594

Real Estate Glossary
Our glossary is the largest dictionary of real estate and construction terms on the Internet with almost 10,000 definitions.

Da - Deb - Def - Den - Des - Di - Dir - Do - Dop - Dr - Dro - Du
  1. Drawing or pulling.
  2. A current of air as in a room or heating system. Alternately, the device that regulates that current of air in the heating system.
  3. A rough or preliminary sketch.
  4. Drawing with precision.
Draft Gauge
Also called a manometer, this device is used to measure slight changes in a low-pressure system, such as an HVAC system, or for remotely measuring a level in a tank of liquid. One end of the U-shaped tube, which contains fluid and is marked with a graduated scale for measuring, is open and the opposite end is connected to the low-pressure source. The fluid in the tube is moved or displaced by slight pressure changes and the change can be read on the scale, which is calibrated to read directly in the desired units of measure.
  1. One who draws in detail using drawing tools, making plans of structures or machinery, etc.
  2. One who draws up legal documents, speeches, etc.
The precision drawing of plans for structures, etc. with the use of drawing tools.
Drafting Machine
Mechanism for drawing a straightedge at a constant angle on the surface of a drawing.
Letting in or being exposed to a uncontrolled flow of air.
  1. To pull or move an object forcefully along a surface.
  2. To draw out over a period of time.
  3. Anything that hinders or obstructs.
  4. A lack of smooth flow of paint from a brush or roller to a surface.
  1. A bucket-like machine for excavating and removing large quantities of soil.
  2. Rope or cable used to pull things.
Link that connects the cranks of two engine shafts, allowing them to turn together.
Dragnet Clause
Mortgage clause which compels the mortgagor to pledge additional properties, mortgaged or not, as additional collateral to a different mortgage loan. Failure to pay any of the mortgages can result in a foreclosure on the dragnetted property, even if it is otherwise unmortgaged or its own payments are current.
  1. To draw off liquid gradually to dry or empty.
  2. A channel or pipe for drawing off water or sewage.
Drain Cock
Valve, which is placed at a low point in a system, allowing the system to drain.
Drain Pan
Broad, shallow container, which is used under a piece of equipment to hold any fluid that may leak out.
Drain Pipe
A large pipe, which is used to carry off water or sewage.
Drain Tile
Pipe shaped clay tiles, which are installed in a below-grade trench for gravity-rated drainage. PVC piping is often used in place of clay tile for drainage.
Drain Valve
Valve used to drain empty a water storage tank.
The system of gutter and drainpipes used to carry water away from the foundation of a home.
Drainage Course
Porous material which is layered in place to effect water drain-off through percolation.
Drainage Easement
The right to drain water through another's property, through a ditch pipe or trench.
Drainage Right of Way
A landowner may not divert or redirect a natural occurring waterway from his/her property causing damage to another property. Waterway is normally construed to mean streams and rivers having well-defined channels and borders.
Drainage System
Piping system, including fixtures, which is used to carry waste from a building to a sewer, using a non-pressure or gravity rated system.
Area next to a sink, which is angles slightly to allow water to drip off into the sink.
An arrangement of window coverings; curtains.
Drapery Pocket
The trimming that conceals the drapery hardware.
  1. Payments taken from a construction loan to be made to suppliers or subcontractors.
  2. To write a check, money order or draft or to compose and write a document such as a contract, deed, petition or will.
  3. To create pictures on a surface; to write.
  4. To pull.
  5. To attract.
Draw Filing
Drawing and pushing alternately across a surface to obtain a smooth finish.
A sliding box in a bureau, chest, etc. that can be moved in and out.
Drawer Pull
Handle used on the front of a drawer to permit opening and closing.
  1. The art of representing something by lines made on a surface with a pen or pencil.
  2. Hammering or pulling metal through dies to spread or lengthen it.
  3. Pulling along.
Also called a drawshave, this blade that has a handle on each end, is used to trim, shape or smooth wood by being drawn horizontally, with both hands, across the work toward the user, thus shaving the wood.
Metal plate used to form wire or small-diameter tubing by having unshaped metal drawn through the holes.
Also called a drawknife, this blade that has a handle on each end, is used to trim, shape or smooth wood by being drawn horizontally, with both hands, across the work toward the user, thus shaving the wood.
Tube that slides within another tube, such as in the eye of a microscope.
An apparatus used for sucking up mud, sand, rocks, etc. from the bottom of a body of water, as when deepening or clearing channel or harbors.
  1. To improve appearance by decorating.
  2. To arrange in a straight line or lines.
  3. Smooth or finish a surface.
Dressed and Matched
Also called tongue and groove, these pieces of wood are made with a tongue milled in one edge and a groove milled into the other so that the tongue of one board fits into the groove on the next one.
Dresser Coupling
Trademark name for a threaded metal coupling sleeve, with nuts at each end and elastomer gaskets that fit around the pipe, sealing against the outside diameter of the pipe, used for repair. The gaskets are sealed against the pipe by threading the nuts onto the ends of the coupling sleeve and then tightening them.
Substance that is added to paint or varnish to shorten drying time.
  1. A gradual shifting of position.
  2. An act of being carried along on a current of air or water or circumstances.
Drift Pin
Tapered metal pin, also called a drift punch, used for the purpose of aligning holes between two structural members so that they can be fastened or bolted together.
Drift Point
Point at which a crane is held in position by inertia, where the electric brake is released but the electric motor is not yet energized.
Drift Punch
Tapered metal pin, also called a drift pin, used for the purpose of aligning holes between two structural members so that they can be fastened or bolted together.
A tool or apparatus, either manual or power operated, also called a drill bit, which is used for boring holes in wood, metal, stone, etc.
Drill and Counterbore Bit
Drill bit that makes a counterbore with the drilled hole in one operation due to use of an enlarged portion on the shank of the bit.
Drill Bit
Tool or apparatus, either manual or power operated, also called a drill, which is used for boring holes in wood, metal, stone, etc.
Drill Chuck
Mechanical device, which is mounted on either an electric or manual drill, which has jaws and a collar that is tightened to grip and hold the drill bit.
Drill Drift
Flat piece of metal, which is tapered, to use in wedging a tapered drill bit loose from its tapered socket.
Drill Gauge
Used to determine a drill bit size, this plate has holes of various sizes, which have been drilled by and are equal to, different sized bits
Drill Holder
Holder for a drill bit in a lathe, which allows a hole to be drilled in the work as it is turning.
Drill Motor
Electric motor or motor driven by compressed air that has a chuck or other device attached to hold and turn a drill bit.
Drill Press
Machine consisting of a stand, a holder for a drill bit and a motor to turn that bit, which is used to bore holes in precise locations at precise angles.
Drill Saw
Drill bit, used in a drill motor to both drill and then enlarge a hole, by use of cutting teeth along the shank of the bit.
  1. To let drops of liquid fall; to fall in or as in drops.
  2. Projecting part of a sill, cornice, etc. that has a underside groove to shed rainwater.
Drip Cap
Projections at the top of doors or windows, which are used to redirect water.
Drip Edge
Overlapping piece of metal that goes around the edge of a roof to prevent water from running down the fascia and getting under the roof.
Drip Molding
Molding that is installed around the base of the wall of buildings to stop water from running from the walls into the foundation.
Drip Loop
Loop in the service conductor to minimize the chance of water penetration.
Drip Pan
Low, shallow container, which is used under machinery to hold any leaking fluids.
Drip Screed
Metal piece, formed with a downward projecting lip, which is placed horizontally on the exterior corners to divert water away from the underside of a soffit or an opening in a wall.
Drip Stone
Stone section installed over a window, which prevents water from running down the window.
  1. To propel as with motor power.
  2. Mechanism that transfers power from the motor to the mechanism being driven.
  3. Motor and gearing on a crane.
Drive Fit
Also called an interference fit, this very tight fit requires force to mate the parts.
Drive Screw
Nail that has steeply inclined screw threads running along the length of the shank.
Drive Shaft
Bridge crane shaft, which connects the drive, motor to a wheel at each end of the bridge and used to transmit power. Alternately called a squarring shaft or a cross shaft.
Path for cars, leading from the street to a house or garage, etc.
Driving Time Radius
Time it takes to drive to an outlying area from a major urban area.
Driving Wheel
Wheel that transmits motion and force, by receiving power from the engine by means of the connecting rod.

Return to Top

Real Estate Glossary